Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Medium Green Project - FSC certified Wood Tiles


I put in a small hot tub earlier this year. I've mistreated my back in years past and from time to time I'm reminded of my past transgressions, so I convinced my wife a hot tub would be therapeutic and voila! A short soak and a good glass of vino is a nice way to unwind in the evenings, but I digress. I realized after a couple of months that I needed a patio covering that is easier on the feet than concrete and didn't let me track grit into the house. I had seen wooden tiles on a DIY show, but wasn't sure where to get them. A few internet searches later and I found these. They are FSC certified eucalyptus wooden tiles from Vifah manufacturing. They snap together and can be taken apart and re-assembled just about anywhere. They have a plastic plaform that raises the wood above grade to let the water shed away, and since they are installed on our back porch there is already a slope away from the house to shed water. The tiles are oiled from the manufacturer and as you can see from my pic they need to be sealed once a year or they will weather grey. Use any wood sealer such as what you would use for your deck. FSC stands for Forest Stewardship Council. It is a non-profit organization advocating and certifying wood products that come from responsibly managed forests. The tiles are about $3.50 per square foot. They are a little expensive but wear well and look great. You can also find refurbished tiles cheaper and they are sold in larger lots at a discount.

Here are a few links if you are thinking of wooden tiles:
http://www.fsc.org/ - Forest Stewardship Council website
http://www.decktiles.org/ - Vifah's retail website

No comments:

Post a Comment